[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-users] Gluster 4.0 - upgrades & backward compatibility strategy

Mauro Mozzarelli mauro at ezplanet.net
Thu Oct 15 07:38:11 UTC 2015

To date my experience with upgrades has been a disaster in that in two
cases I was unable to start my volume and eventually I had to downgrade.

What I want to recommend is that there is an EXTENSIVE REGRESSION TEST.
The most important goal is that NOTHING that works with the previous
release should break in the new release.

I recommend to test in particular with multi-homed bricks, it is to expect
that administrators create fast (Infiniband) LANs dedicated to gluster
with their own separate IPs and Names, physically separated from the LAN
interfaces that carry the canonical host name.

Make sure as well that file system attributes or configuration files
aren't changed during the upgrade to a point that prevents a safe
downgrade.

Mauro