[Gluster-devel] Glusterfs as a root file system on the same node

satish kondapalli nitw.satish at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 07:27:59 UTC 2015

Hi Atin,

First of all I am not sure how the datacenter cluster nodes boot.

My assumption is that cluster nodes boot from their local disk.  Let
suppose each node has some number of HDDs and one of that is boot disk.
Gluster is running on each node to distribute the storage(except boot
disk).   Here i am thinking whether is there way  to run gluster on boot
disk so that i can recover the boot disk  failure also (with replicated
volume).

My idea is to get kernel and modified initrd image(with gluster and all
dependencies)  from the network and mount gluster volume as a root file
system.

Sateesh