[Gluster-devel] Caching support in glusterfs

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Tue Nov 24 15:35:20 UTC 2015

On November 24, 2015 at 6:47:59 AM, Avik Sil (avik.sil at hgst.com) wrote:
> While searching for caching support in glusterfs I stumbled upon this
> link:
> http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Features/caching
>
> But I didn't get much info from it. What is plan ahead?

There is some ongoing work on creating and improving the support
necessary to support caching/delegations in Ganesha (NFS) and Samba
(SMB).  Perhaps members of those teams could elaborate.  Unfortunately,
there’s no current work on using those same features to create a
generalized caching layer within “core” (native protocol) GlusterFS
itself.  While there’s broad agreement that it would be useful, such an
effort requires someone to lead/drive it and nobody has stepped up to do
so.