[Gluster-devel] Logging framework in Gluter 4.0

Aravinda avishwan at redhat.com
Fri Nov 6 08:00:01 UTC 2015

regards
Aravinda
http://aravindavk.in

On 11/06/2015 12:28 PM, Avra Sengupta wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As almost all the components targeted for Gluster 4.0 have moved from
> design phase to implementation phase on some level or another, I feel
> it's time to get some consensus on the logging framework we are going
> to use. Are we going to stick with the message ID formatted logging
> framework in use today, or shall we move on to a better solution.
>
> Some good to have features I would like to have in the logging
> framework are:
> 1. Specific distinction between logs of various transactions (or
> operations), that would make it a lot easier to make sense than
> looking at some serialized log dump
Externally grouping Message IDs may help in this situation.

> 2. We often encounter issues, and then find ourselves wishing the
> process was running in debug mode so that we could have gotten some
> debug logs. If there is any solution that enables me tracability of
> the process's flow, without compromising the space constraints of the
> logs that would be great to have.
I think after each debugging session, we should revise the log messages
to get following answers.
1. Is something missing in log, which could have reduced the time spent
to root cause.
2. Logging is available but imcomplete details. (For example, on volume
set, debug message will have key and value but no Volume name)
3. Is something redundant or not required. (For example, Geo-replication
worker logs sync engine as rsync or tar mode. If we have multiple
workers then all workers prints this log message. Instead if we move
this log to monitor process instead of worker process we could save some
space in log files)

With this practice, we can improve our logs over time.