[Gluster-devel] Documentation about enabling extended attributes on NetBSD?

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Tue Nov 3 16:16:49 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 03, 2015 at 02:33:12PM +0000, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 03, 2015 at 01:57:24PM +0100, Niels de Vos wrote:
> > I've looked into NetBSD build errors before, and have a NetBSD 6.1.2
> > virtual machine for testing. Unfortunately the default filesystem with
> > the default kernel not seem to support extended attributes. Could you
> > explain or point me to the documentation to enable that? Being able to
> > locally test on NetBSD would surely help me and other developers.
>
> The trap is that it not supported in UFSv2 filesystems: you need
> to format with newfs_ffs -O1
>
> Once this is done, create .attribute/user and .attribute/system
> at the fs root, and remount with -o extattr

Ah, thanks, that helps a lot!

Unfortunately, I'm unable to get extattr to function, I must be missing
something:

    vm008# newfs -O1 ld1a
    /dev/rld1a: 10240.0MB (20971520 sectors) block size 16384, fragment size 2048
            using 56 cylinder groups of 182.86MB, 11703 blks, 23168 inodes.
    super-block backups (for fsck_ffs -b #) at:
    vm008# grep -w /d /etc/fstab
    /dev/ld1a               /d      ffs     rw,extattr               0 0
    vm008# mount /d
    mount_ffs: /dev/ld1a on /d: Operation not supported
    vm008# mkdir -p /d/.attribute/user
    vm008# mkdir -p /d/.attribute/system
    vm008# umount /d
    vm008# mount /d
    mount_ffs: /dev/ld1a on /d: Operation not supported
    vm008# mount
    /dev/ld1a on /d type ffs (extattr, local)
    vm008# ls -l /d/.attribute/
    total 4
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Nov  3 16:49 system
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Nov  3 16:49 user

The output of `dmesg` contains this:

    /d: failed to start extattr: error = 45

When I mount without "extattr", and do a remount, `dmesg` shows a very
similar

    /d: failed to start extattr, error = 0

Do you have any additional hints on what to check? Or, maybe I am
missing a dependency?

> > We should definitely have a description/howto about this in our
> > documentation on http://gluster.readthedocs.org. Any assistance with
> > that is appreciated.
>
> The procedure is in fact self-documented in the regression test. If you
> install it through the package system, you also get the message:
> http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/pkgsrc/filesystems/glusterfs/MESSAGE.NetBSD

Aha, tests/include.rc contains those steps too. Not sure what I'm doing
wrong. I'm not installing from pkgsrc, but trying to debug a regression
failure on the master branch.

Thanks again,
Niels