[Gluster-devel] GlusterD 2.0 status updates for last two months

Atin Mukherjee amukherj at redhat.com
Tue Nov 3 07:00:07 UTC 2015

Apologies to miss out to send September's updates, so here goes the
consolidated update for the progress made for last two months on
GlusterD 2.0

1. GlusterD 2.0 code is been now migrated from individual repository to
github/gluster [1]. As of now, we are working on PR based model and once
we have some significant amount of functioning code ready we plan to
migrate it to the main glusterfs repo.

2. Most of the time on September was spent on the preparation for the
Gluster.Next discussion meeting happened at Westford. I've earlier
shared the slide decks and the hangout recording link [2]

3. A significant amount of discussion happened on the upgrades and
backward compatibility strategies for overall 4.0 and a discussion on
the feedback about it was initiated at [3]

4. We've started working on the Rest end point API document for GlusterD
and the same will be posted for review this week. We'd also need the
other feature owners to help us in reviewing & defining the feature
command based APIs once the basic APIs are finalized. A mail calling for
participation on this has been initiated here [4]

5. Team has also done some basic experimentation in setting up a large
etcd cluster and having a kind of load testing to measure the stability
of etcd and we didn't have any as such surprise and things went well.

6. We are also working on the design documentation and expect it to put
for review in next week.

7. In terms of development, we are working on making a volume create
work in a single node cluster. 80% code is ready and is currently under
review. We've also started defining the ReST end points for peer
commands and the same is also under review. PRs can be found at [5]

[1] https://github.com/gluster/glusterd2
[2] http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2015-October/046880.html
[3] http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2015-October/046917.html
[4] http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2015-October/046865.html
[5] https://github.com/gluster/glusterd2/pulls

Here are the list of things we plan to accomplish over this month:

1. Get the API docs reviewed and signed off
2. Get the design doc signed off
3. volume-create to work on a single node cluster
4. Initiate etcd management and bootstrapping.

I'd request other 4.0 initiatives leads to update their status.

Thanks,
Atin