[Gluster-devel] FreeBSD and NetBSD builds failing on master

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Mon Nov 2 16:50:25 UTC 2015

> Generally speaking, I am in favor of backing otu changes that
> break the world.

I should have caught this problem (mea culpa) but “break the world” is a
bit hyperbolic.  “The world” is broken much of the time, because very
few of the developers on this project know how to fix *BSD portability
problems.  How would they, when nobody ever tries to educate them in
review comments or elsewhere?  If we just say that *BSD failures block
all merges, but nobody tries to speed the process of fixing *BSD
failures, then that slows down overall development too much.  As I
understand it, that’s why those results currently don’t count toward
verification in Gerrit.

Some of us have talked about instituting a delay or window in which
patches that only fail on *BSD can be fixed up for that environment,
without obstructing other development.  If anyone has ideas on how to
make that work, or has a different idea that doesn’t make *BSD the
bottleneck for all development on all platforms, now would be a great
time to share those ideas.