[Gluster-devel] RichACL support in Gluster

Rajesh Joseph rjoseph at redhat.com
Fri May 22 03:34:57 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I am working towards providing RichACL support in Gluster. This is a
crucial step towards multi-protocol support. Currently Andreas Gruenbacher
is the driving force behind RichACL efforts in ext4 file-system and other
file-systems. See his earlier mail for more details:
http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2015-February/044008.html

Niels created a Fedora repo for the RichACL supported kernel, tools and
the richacl library.
https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/devos/richacl/

My plan is to provide a new RichACL translator in gluster which will
store, retrieve and enforce RichACL irrespective of whether the lower
file-system supports RichACL or not. I will make use of librichacl
developed by Andreas for managing and enforcing ACLs. One important
point to note is that RichACL and POSIX ACL won't work together. The
file-system can either support RichACL or POSIX ACL. Richacls share some
design elements with POSIX ACLs, but they go beyond POSIX ACLs in
several ways. Converting from POSIX ACLs to richacls is relatively easy,
but converting back from richacls to POSIX ACLs is not possible without
losing information.

I have created a feature page for RichACL:
http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Features/RichACL

Please see my Gluster Summit slides for more details:
http://www.slideshare.net/RajeshJoseph6/richacl-glusterfs

Please let me know your comments or suggestions.

Thanks & Regards,
Rajesh