[Gluster-devel] Tracking and ordering (data-tiering) bugs and enhancements

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Fri May 15 11:17:36 UTC 2015

[Related to tiering, but other features with many bug reports should
 consider following this practise too. Tiering is only the first feature
 I am checking.]

Hi guys,

You have been very active in creating bugzilla reports for all the known
issues and feature enhancements for data-tiering. I am looking at what
bugs have been marked as blockers for 3.7.0 and would like to get the
data-tiering bugs ordered a little better.

The structure of bugs that need to go into the next 3.7.1 update would
look like this:

  Bug glusterfs-3.7.1 (#1219955)
    |   (Tracker for 3.7.1 improvements)

    '- Bug glusterfs-tiering-supportability (#1221957)
         |   (Tracker for all data-tiering improvements for 3.7.x)

         |- Bug: rebalance failed after attaching the tier to the volume
         |    |   (reported issue against 3.7.x)
         |    |
         |    '- clone of the same bug, but for the mainline version

         |- Bug: Do not allow detach-tier commands on a non tiered volume
         |    |   (clone of the issue reported against mainline)
         :    |
         :    '- the same bug, but for the mainline version
         '

This makes it much easier for tracking the status of data-tiering:

    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/showdependencytree.cgi?id=glusterfs-tiering-supportability&hide_resolved=1

There is no need to have each of the reported bugs block any of the
glusterfs-3.7.x trackers directly. Neither should any of the bugs
against mainline (the master branch) block other bugs than their
clone/original bug for 3.7.x.

I'll be moving dependencies of the tiering bug reports around during the
day, but please do not hesitate to do so too.

Let me know if there are any questions about this.

Thanks,
Niels