[Gluster-devel] break glusterd into small parts (Re: good job on fixing heavy hitters in spurious regressions)

Krishnan Parthasarathi kparthas at redhat.com
Sat May 9 10:53:35 UTC 2015

> Oh nice, I might have missed the mails. Do you mind sharing the plan for
> 4.0? Any reason why you guys do not want to continue glusterd as
> translator model?

I don't understand why we are using the translator model in the first place.
I guess it was to reuse rpc code. You should be able to shed more light here.
A quick google search with "glusterd 2.0 gluster-users", gave me this
http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/2014-September/018639.html.
Interestingly you asked us to consider AFR/NSR for distributed configuration
management, which lead to http://www.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2014-November/042944.html
This proposal didn't go in the expected direction.

I don't want to get into "why not use translators" now. We are currently heading in the
direction visible in the above threads. If glusterd can't be a translator anymore, so be it.