[Gluster-devel] good job on fixing heavy hitters in spurious regressions

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Fri May 8 19:03:55 UTC 2015

> I submit a patch for new-component/changing log-level of one of the logs
> for which there is not a single caller after you moved it from INFO ->
> DEBUG. So the code is not at all going to be executed. Yet the
> regressions will fail. I am 100% sure it has nothing to do with my
> patch. I neither have time nor expertise to debug the test that I have
> no clue about, so the least I can do is to intimate people who may do
> something about it i.e. owner of test or maintainer of module. You feel
> lets ask the owner of the test about what the problem is, owner of the
> test moves on to different component and is busy with their own work. So
> you are left with going to the maintainer who tells you so and so is the
> problem and so and so is the reason as soon as you show the test number,
> so you end up feeling why didn't I ask him/her first.

What you describe sounds more like a problem than a solution.  The
component maintainers shouldn't be the only ones who have this
information.  Both patch submitters and test owners should be able
to find it on a public test-status page.  The test owner should be
*very* well aware of the problem, because it should be at or near the
top of their priority list.  By putting the onus on the test owner,
we achieve two positive things: we lessen the burden on component
(or release) maintainers, and we give other people a strong incentive
to fix problems in their own (test) code.  Assigning primary
responsibility to maintainers has the exact opposite effects.