[Gluster-devel] Proposal for improving throughput for regression test

Justin Clift justin at gluster.org
Fri May 8 15:24:50 UTC 2015

On 8 May 2015, at 10:02, Mohammed Rafi K C <rkavunga at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> As we all know, our regression tests are killing us. An average, one
> regression will take approximately two and half hours to complete the
> run. So i guess this is the right time to think about enhancing our
> regression.
>
> Proposal 1:
>
> Create a new option for the daemons to specify that it is running as
> test mode, then we can skip fsync calls used for data durability.
>
> Proposal 2:
>
> Use ip address instead of host name, because it takes some good amount
> of time to resolve from host name, and even some times causes spurious
> failure.
>

> Proposal 3:
> Each component has a lot of .t files and there is redundancy in tests,
> We can do a rework to reduce the .t files and make less number of tests
> that covers unit testing for a component , and run regression runs once
> in a day (nightly) .
>
> Please provide your inputs for the proposed ideas , and feel free to add
> a new idea.

Proposal 4:

Break the regression tests into parts that can be run in parallel.

So, instead of the regression testing for a particular CR going from the
first test to the last in a serial sequence, we break it up into a number
of chunks (dir based?) and make each of these a task.

That won't reduce the overall number of tests, but it should get the time
down for the result to be finished.

Caveat : We're going to need more VM's, as once we get into things
queueing up it's not going to help. :/

+ Justin

--
GlusterFS - http://www.gluster.org