[Gluster-devel] 4.0 ideas

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Fri May 8 08:28:12 UTC 2015

On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 02:15:20PM -0400, Jeff Darcy wrote:
> Last week, those of us who were together in Bangalore had a meeting to
> discuss the GlusterFS 4.0 plan.  Once we'd covered what's already in
> the plan[1] we had a very productive brainstorming session on what else
> we might want to consider adding.  Here are some of my notes, in no
> particular order, for discussion either here on the list or in person at
> the upcoming Barcelona summit.

> * FTP or STFP (sshfs) client using GFAPI
>   I've proposed this as a potential intern project.

Good idea :D It happens that I suggested this addition for lftp too
already (for the C++ lovers):

    http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Features/lftp

There are some other features that should land in 4.0, or possibly even
earlier. I'll add them here for awareness, once we start looking into
more details about them, we'll send notes to the mailinglists.

* Kerberos support for the GlusterFS protocols
  Clients and servers will become able to authenticate eachother through
  their Kerberos TGTs. Encryption of the network transport will also be
  an option. This would look very much like Kerberized NFS.

* Rich Access Control Lists
  POSIX ACLs are too limited for certain access protocols. NFSv4 and SMB
  are the main drivers to get support for richacls on the bricks and
  through libgfapi. Once NFS-Ganesha, Samba and Gluster prove that
  richacls fulfill their promise, it will become easier to convince the
  Linux kernel people to implement/accept patches for richacls too.

Niels