[Gluster-devel] 4.0 ideas

Shyam srangana at redhat.com
Thu May 7 18:55:00 UTC 2015

On 05/07/2015 02:15 PM, Jeff Darcy wrote:

> * Centralized logging

- The intention of the change/move from gf_log to gf_msg was to enable
centralized logging mechanisms, among other things. In the discussions
do consider needs and how this can fit into the same.
  Ref:
http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Features/better-logging

> * Finer-grain version/feature negotiation between nodes.

- Adding to this, one thought for DHT was to allow/disallow clients with
older layouts, using something akin to a generation number than
version/feature, and can allow client to reconfigure themselves to the
latest graph/conf.

Just posting this here, so that it may trigger thoughts at the summit.

Additions:

- I would like to add a framework for fault injection

I know, I had bigger dreams on this in the past, but this time around
something simpler. An extensible framework that we can add fault points
to, and exercise in the regression tests, or other tests, triggering
specific faults, or injecting specific waits. This can help test out a
lot of the new (and older) code in various scenarios.

For example, exercising FOPs between a rebalance phase 1 and rebalance
phase 2, which requires a _wait/sleep_ in this state to be injected in
the rebalance daemon.

Shyam