[Gluster-devel] feature/trash and NetBSD

Anoop C S achiraya at redhat.com
Tue Mar 31 05:27:12 UTC 2015

On 03/18/2015 02:33 PM, Anoop C S wrote:

> On 03/18/2015 02:00 PM, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 11:26:02AM +0530, Anoop C S wrote:
>>> Trash translator creates the original file inside .trashcan directory on
>>> receiving a truncate/ftruncate call and then truncates the file. During
>>> the above mentioned procedure, whether a truncate/ftruncate call is
>>> issued internally?
>>
>> The kernel sends SETATTR with new file size, and glusterfs turns this
>> into a truncate call. I have to dig deeper to tell how.
>
> Ok. As of now trash translator doesn't distinguish between extended
> truncate and reduced truncate. From your explanation and discussion with
> Vijay, we doubt that it is an extended truncate(truncate with a higher
> size). We are planning to skip extended truncate from trashing. A patch
> will be sent out soon to address the problem. If that is the case, then
> the corresponding (upcoming) patch will solve the issue.

The above mentioned patch for skipping extended truncate
[http://review.gluster.org/#/c/9984/] got merged yesterday. And some
portability fixes for trash.t was included in your recently merged patch
[http://review.gluster.org/#/c/10033/]. Now we expect trash.t to run
more smoothly than before on NetBSD. Feel free to reply with outstanding
failures.

>>> We have started looking into the failures. And I see many instances of
>>> the following error:
>>> du: unknown option -- b
>>
>> Yes, I had to fix a few shell portability problems
>> - The -p option for mkdir must be before the directory name
>> - du -b is not portable. Use ls -l instead.
>> - test -e file* fails if file* expands to multiple files.
>>   I introduced wildcard_exists() and wildcard_not_exists() to work
>>   this around.
>>
>> Attached patch adresses the three points.
>
> Thanks for pointing out the issues. When we have our above mentioned
> patch merged upstream, we can verify and then you can send this patch
> for trash.t upstream for review.

Now that the patches are merged and you can send the remaining
portability fixes as mentioned above (whichever is remaining) for
trash.t upstream for review.

--Anoop C S.