[Gluster-devel] GSoC-2015 organization application rejected

Kaushal M kshlmster at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 18:29:09 UTC 2015

Hi everyone.

I'm disappointed to announce that our application to be a mentoring
organization for GSoC-2015 has been rejected. Google has accepted 137
organizations [1] this year (down from 190 last year) and couldn't find
place to accommodate us.

The main reason behind the rejection was the presentation of our ideas list
[2]. Though we had a good number of ideas, Google expected them to be more
fleshed out and followed guidelines given at [3]. This some thing we must
do and doing this will help new contributors.

This was our communities first ever attempt, so we were bound to have some
missteps. We'll prepare better for the next time and try again.

In the meantime, anyone who was hoping to contribute via GSoC, but would
still like to contribute to the community anyway, take a look at our ideas
list [2]. If you'd like to work on something, get in touch with the listed
mentor or with development mailing list.

I want to thank the community members who volunteered to be mentors, and
who came up with the ideas. I want to thank Spot, for helping me get our
application submitted in a rush.

Thanks everyone. Let's try again next year.

- Kaushal

[1]: https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/list/public/google/gsoc2015
[2]: http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Projects
[3]: http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCMentoring/making-your-ideas-page/