[Gluster-devel] Fedora users: upgrade to Fedora 22

Kaleb KEITHLEY kkeithle at redhat.com
Tue Jun 30 16:19:14 UTC 2015

I have knowledge that more than one of our Gluster developers are still
using Fedora 19 (or earlier?) for their development work.

This is bad for many reasons, but perhaps the worst one is that Fedora
22 ships with gcc-5.1.x. which now defaults to newer versions of the C
standard among other things.

One of the practices our developers have that's routinely breaking
things is the use of 'inline'.  Using inline has some subtle traps, e.g.
using alloca(), and we just shouldn't generally be using it. I.e. we
shouldn't be using inline.

The use of inline with gcc-5 is producing other bugs too. Sometimes
these are compile errors, and worse, some of them are run-time errors
(like unresolved symbols and core dumps) that are somehow not being seen
or worse, ignored, during development.

Please find half an hour and use fedup to update your development box.

And if you're using an old version of Debian, Ubuntu, or CentOS, the
same is also true, even if the newer version doesn't have gcc-5 yet.

--

Kaleb