[Gluster-devel] [Cross-posted] Re: Gentle Reminder.. (Was: GlusterFS Documentation Improvements - An Update)

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 11:06:11 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 5:24 PM, Shravan Chandrashekar
<schandra at redhat.com> wrote:
> We would like to finalize on the documentation contribution workflow by 26th June 2015.
> As we have not yet received any comments/suggestion, we will confirm the recommend workflow after 26th June.
>

> Kindly provide your suggestion on how we can improve this workflow.

There are a couple of aspects which need to be quickly looked through.

(a) a write-up of somewhat detail providing an overview of the new
workflow; how contributors can participate; reviewing mechanism for
patches against documentation; merge and release paths/cadence

(b) at <http://review.gluster.org/#/c/11129/> Niels has a comment
about "about design of structures used in the code" and how he thinks
that it is appropriate if "it stays part of the sources and does not
move out."

He also says "For example, I would like to document some of the memory
layout structures and functions, but this documentation will include
source-code comments and a .txt or .md file with additional details.
Spitting that makes it more difficult to keep in sync."

In this particular example, I'd probably say that it would be better
that such documentation is also part of the docs repo. It lends itself
to re-use as and when required (this particular example seems re-use
friendly).

I'd request that this switch-over to the new workflow and repositories
go ahead with the absolute "documentation" content. Examples/cases
like the above mentioned by Niels can be resolved via discussion and
probably not block the switch.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://about.me/sankarshan.mukhopadhyay>