[Gluster-devel] Feature support: development of metadata service xlator plugin in glusterfs.

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Sat Jun 20 21:31:58 UTC 2015

On Friday 19 June 2015 10:43 PM, 张兵 wrote:
> Hi all
>      In the use of the glusterfs ,found file system commands a lot, such
> as stat, lookup,setfattr, the very influence system performance,
> especially with EC volume. The use of glusterfs code architecture and
> add metadata server xlater and achieve similar GFS architecture; so, the
> same set of software, users can choose their own metadata server or not
> to choose the metadata server;

How do you expect the metadata server to aide performance here? There
would be network trips to the metadata servers to set/fetch necessary
information. If the intention is to avoid the penalty of having to fetch
information from disk, we have been investigating the possibility of
disk for repetitive fetch of attributes & extended attributes. I expect
that to be mainlined soon.

If you have other ideas on how a metadata server can improve
performance, that would be interesting to know.

Regards,
Vijay