[Gluster-devel] Introducing Heketi: Storage Management Framework with Plugins for GlusterFS volumes

Joseph Fernandes josferna at redhat.com
Thu Jun 18 09:29:35 UTC 2015

LVM or Volume Manager Dependencies:
1) SNAPSHOTS: Gluster snapshots are LVM based

2) PROVISIONING and ENFORCEMENT:
As of today Gluster does not have any control on the size of the brick. It will consume the brick (xfs)mount point given
to it without checking on how much it needs to consume. LVM (or any other volume manager) will be required to do space provisioning per brick and enforce
limits on size of bricks.

3) STORAGE SEGREGATION:
LVM pools can be used to have storage segregation i.e having primary storage pools and secondary(for Gluster replica) pools,
So that we can crave out proper space from the physical disks attached to each node.
At a high level (i.e Heketi's User) disk space can be viewed as storage pools,(i.e by aggreating disk space per pool per node using glusterd)
To start with we can have Primary pool and secondary pool(for Gluster replica) , where each file serving node in the cluster participates in
these pools via the local LVM pools.

4) DATA PROTECTION:
   Further data protection using LVM RAID. Pools can be marked to have RAID support on them, courtesy of LVM RAID.
   https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Logical_Volume_Manager_Administration/raid_volumes.html

~Joe