[Gluster-devel] Regression tests and improvement ideas

Anand Nekkunti anekkunt at redhat.com
Wed Jun 17 16:49:55 UTC 2015

Hi All
  I have  suggestion to improve regression test.
Issue :   We are calling cleanup function at the starting and ending of
each test (twice for each test ).
#time prove -vf  tests/bugs/glusterd/cleanup.t     #(cleanup function
called 20 times in loop ) -- find attached file
*real    0m29.140s*
time taken cleanup function = 30/20 = ~1.5 sec
#grep -rn "cleanup" ./tests/ |wc -l
808
   808 times cleanup function called during regression test
   Time taken by cleanup in regression test =1.5 * 808 =1212 sec = 20.2 min
   Total time taken by both regression =20.2 * 2 = 40.4 min

My suggestion : Call cleanup only at the start of each test case , so it
reduce the 40.4/2=*_20.2 min_* in total regression test(both regression ).

Note: These analysis done in below configuration
     model name    : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4300U CPU @ 1.90GHz
     RAM                : 8GB