[Gluster-devel] Introducing Heketi: Storage Management Framework with Plugins for GlusterFS volumes

Luis Pabon lpabon at redhat.com
Mon Jun 15 16:01:47 UTC 2015

Hi all,

  As we continue forward with OpenStack Manila and Kubernetes integration with GlusterFS, we require a simpler method of managing volumes and bricks.  We introduce Heketi ( https://github.com/heketi ), a RESTful storage management framework which enables certain storage systems to be easily managed. Heketi poses itself not an abstraction layer, but instead as a framework for developers to enhance their existing storage system management through a plugin interface. Heketi also provides a RESTful interface which enables callers to easily manage the storage system.  For GlusterFS, currently we only plan on managing the creation and deletion of volumes in GlusterFS through a simple RESTful interface.  Heketi will also manage the brick location and life cycle.

Heketi allows users to create volumes with a simple command and not worry about which bricks to use.  A simple command to create a 1 TB volume would look like this:

POST on http://<server>/volumes, with JSON { "size" : 1000000000 }

To delete the volume:

DELETE on http://<server>/volumes/<id of volume>

* A demo is available https://github.com/heketi/vagrant-heketi , so please try it out and let us know what you think.

** Heketi is still quite young, but the plan is to finish by early September.

Please let us know what you think.

- Luis