[Gluster-devel] A Year with Go

Krishnan Parthasarathi kparthas at redhat.com
Mon Jun 8 04:06:32 UTC 2015

Here are some of the reasons why we are considering Go for
the next version of GlusterD.

- Existing C code already uses abstractions that come along
with Go, like coroutines, fan-out I/O minus the channels.

- Go promises lesser developement time than C.

- Go has bindings for consul/etcd APIs and in general has a rich
library ecosystem.

- Deployment is easy with the single executable, no shared libraries model.

- Debugging live programs may be difficult especially with goroutines in the mix,
but that's true with synctasks (our coroutines implementation) too!