[Gluster-devel] Lease-lock Design notes

Soumya Koduri skoduri at redhat.com
Tue Jul 21 13:20:48 UTC 2015

On 07/21/2015 02:49 PM, Poornima Gurusiddaiah wrote:
> Hi Shyam,
>
> Please find my reply inline.
>
> Rgards,
> Poornima

Apart from the in memory locking (for different fds) which you have
mentioned, the other complexity involved here (which I can think of atm)
is that unlike existing inodelk/entry_lk locks, leases can be recalled
and revoked by server. We need to consider the amount of time needed by
each of these xlators to finish their tasks(may include re-acquiring
locks) before they send recall_lease event to their parent xlators. Or
(as already mentioned in the NFS protocol), we need a way to let server
increase the recall_lease timeout dynamically if the client is
diligently flushing the data which I think is doable. But the switch
between leases<->locks sounds racy :)

That said as Poornima has mentioned below, currently we have started
with requesting & handling leases at application layer. Later we shall
explore more on having a client-side xlator to handle leases and cache
data.

Thanks,
Soumya