[Gluster-devel] [Cross-posted] Re: Gentle Reminder.. (Was: GlusterFS Documentation Improvements - An Update)

Raghavendra Talur rtalur at redhat.com
Wed Jul 8 13:45:37 UTC 2015

On 07/08/2015 07:07 PM, Raghavendra Talur wrote:

> *Top posting with summary of mails above to enable better
> discussion*
>

> *Premise of original mail:*
>

>   * Gluster related documentation was spread across
>     wiki/website-html/gluster-repo and difficult to find.
>

>   * We want a new place for documentation(preferebly one
>     single place)
>

>   * The workflow to contribute should be easy for
>     non-developers too.(should definitely not involve
>     cloning repo from gerrit and sending patch)
>

> *Unanswered questions/ Concerns raised*
>

>   * Developer documentation like struct members and
>     their uses should be in repo so that developers update
>     it along with code changes, else there is a good
>     chance docs go outdated.
>

>   * What is the reviewing mechanism for patches against
>     documentation?
>
>   * What tool/system gives a good inline commenting
>     feature and can be used for discussion?

*My suggestions:*

  * Differentiate between user doc(installation, administration, feature
    summary, tools, FAQ/troubleshooting etc) and developer doc(Design
    doc, developer workflow, coding guidelines etc).
  * User documentation goes to glusterdocs repo and developer
    documentation stays in gluster repo.
  * An user/admin who installed through packages can do a man(and find
    man pages) or google(and find readthedocs pages) without going
    through gerrit/wiki etc.
  * A developer who has cloned gluster repo finds all the development
    related info in the repo itself(git grep etc) and does not need to
    go out of the code base.
  * A patch which changes a struct member should change the relevant
    developer documentation in the same patch set.
  * A patch which changes a user facing behavior should be ideally
    followed by a PR on glusterdocs repo. (patch owner and feature
    maintainer to ensure that).
  * Use github's PR for glusterfsdocs and hence use the comments system
    on github for that.
  * A developer doc change or a new feature proposal should be as patch
    on gluster repo and we can use gerrit's inline comments for
    discussion on that.