[Gluster-devel] Progress on adding support for SEEK_DATA and SEEK_HOLE

Xavier Hernandez xhernandez at datalab.es
Mon Jul 6 07:37:08 UTC 2015

On 07/06/2015 01:15 AM, Niels de Vos wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 01, 2015 at 09:41:19PM +0200, Niels de Vos wrote:

>>> I've posted the patch for ec in the same Gerrit topic:
>>>
>>>      http://review.gluster.org/11494/
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>>> It has not been tested and some discussion about if it's really needed to
>>> send the request to all subvolumes will be needed.
>>>
>>> The lock and the xattrop are absolutely needed. Even if we send the request
>>> to only one subvolume, we need to know which ones are healthy (to avoid
>>> sending the request to a brick that could have invalid hole information).
>>> This could have been done in open, but since NFS does not issue open calls,
>>> we cannot rely on that.
>>
>> Ok, yes, that makes sense. We will likely have SEEK as an operation in
>> NFS-Ganesha at one point, and that will use the handle-based gfapi
>> functions.
>>
>>> Once we know which bricks are healthy we could opt for sending the request
>>> only to one of them. In this case we need to be aware that even healthy
>>> bricks could have different hole locations.
>>
>> I'm not sure if I understand what you mean, but that likely has to do
>> that I dont know much about ec. I'll try to think it through later this
>> week.
>
> The only thing that would need to be guaranteed is that the offset of
> the hole/data is safe. The whole purpose is to improve handling of
> sparse files, this does not need to be perfect. The holes themselves are
> not important, but the non-holes are.
>
> When a sparse file (think VM image) is copied, the goal is to not read
> the holes which would return NUL bytes. If calculating the start of a
> hole or the end is not exact, that is not a fatal issue. Reading and
> backing up a series of NUL bytes before/after the hole should be
> acceptable.
>
> A drawing can probably explain things a little better.
>

>                          lseek(SEEK_HOLE)
>                            |       |
>                    perfect |       | acceptable
>                      match |       | match
>                            |       |
>       .....................|.......|.....................
>       :file                |       |                    :
>       : .----------------. v       v           .------. :
>       : | DATA DATA DATA | NUL NUL NUL NUL NUL | DATA | :
>       : '----------------'                 ^   '------' :
>       :                                    |   ^        :
>       .....................................|...|.........
>                                            |   |
>                                 acceptable |   | perfect
>                                      match |   | match
>                                            |   |
>                                          lseek(SEEK_DATA)
>

> I have no idea how ec can figure out the offset of holes/data, that
> would be interesting to know. Is it something that is available in a
> design document somewhere?

EC splits the file in chunks of 512 * #data bricks. Each brick receives
a fragment of 512 bytes for each chunk. These fragments are the minimal
units of data and they are a hole or they contain data but not a mix (if
part of the fragment should be a hole, it's filled with 0's). This means
that backend filesystems can only have data/holes aligned to offsets
multiple of 512 bytes.

Reading some other information and your explanation, I will need to
change the logic to detect data/holes. I'll update the patch as soon as
possible.

> My inclination is to have the same consistency for the seek() FOP as for
> read(). The same locking and health-checks would apply. Does that help?

What provides consistency to read() is the initial check done just after
the locking. I think this is enough to choose one healthy brick, so I'll
also update the patch to only use a single brick for seek() instead of
sending the request to multiple bricks.

Even if the data/hole positions can be different between healthy bricks,
those bricks that have data where others have holes, must contain 0's
(otherwise they shouldn't be healthy). So I think it's not so important
to query multiple bricks to obtain more accurate information.

Xavi