[Gluster-devel] What would you like to see in GlusterFS.next?

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Thu Jan 29 09:48:32 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 05:31:36PM +0530, Vijay Bellur wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Thanks to everyone who responded to the recent community survey [1], we have
> an idea of what you think would be necessary in GlusterFS. I have tried to
> collate the wishlist of features under appropriate categories here [2].
>
> As a continuation of this, the approaching feature freeze for 3.7 & more
> momentum being gained for 4.0 planning, it would be good to understand what
> features you would like to see in the next releases of GlusterFS. To
> re-state the obvious, 3.x releases will continue to be evolutionary and 4.0
> is planned to be a major release that brings about architectural
> improvements for better scale, ease of use and performance. More details on
> 4.0 planning can be found at [3].
>
> Please chip in with your ideas and we will continue to curate the community
> feature wishlist with what we learn here.

I always thought a GlusterFS Proxy/Gateway would be interesting. This
might even be already possible today by putting a .vol file together
manually? The idea is to have a system talking the GlusterFS protocol to
clients, and on the other hand takes care of the
replications/distribution towards the bricks. This would allow dumb
clients to mount GlusterFS volume (without some of the features of the
protocol), very similar to how Samba and NFS function. Firewalling and
authentication would become easier too.

It might even be possible to write a kernel module that only supports
the basic I/O operations, and utilizes the proxy for all the
complex/dynamic things done by the xlators.

Do others see a benefit in having this too?

Thanks,
Niels