[Gluster-devel] Proactive backports to release branches

Atin Mukherjee amukherj at redhat.com
Thu Jan 15 05:19:44 UTC 2015

On 01/14/2015 04:44 PM, Vijay Bellur wrote:
> On 01/14/2015 04:34 PM, Vijay Bellur wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> We have been normally following a reactive process to backport patches
>> to release branches. The backport guidelines page [1] describes it in
>> more detail. Given the rate at which our master branch moves, I think it
>> is becoming hard for users to identify which patch(es) can potentially
>> fix problems being faced in their deployments. I have also heard a
>> similar problem reported by release maintainers about not being able to
>> cherry pick patches from master to respective releases as the backports
>> could be non-trivial in nature. Overall this can lead us to do minor
>> releases not having the right content from a stability & usability point
>> of view.
>>
>> I have been thinking about this problem and here are some solutions that
>> crossed my mind:
>>
>> 1. Developers become more pro-active in backporting patches to release
>> branches.
IMO this should be the best approach, developers need to be more
proactive to assess the importance of the patch and ensure they are
getting backported. I think it will be really tedious and harsh for a
release maintainer or even a component maintainer to follow up each and
every patches going into master and decide whether they are candidates
for backport.

~Atin