[Gluster-devel] Sharding - Inode write fops - recoverability from failures - design

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Mon Feb 23 11:55:57 UTC 2015

On 02/22/2015 06:08 PM, Krutika Dhananjay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please find the design doc for one of the problems in sharding which
> Pranith and I are trying to solve and its solution @
> http://review.gluster.org/#/c/9723/1.
> Reviews and feedback are much appreciated.

Can this feature be made optional? I think there are use cases like
virtual machine image storage, hdfs etc. where the number of metadata
queries might not be very high. It would be an acceptable tradeoff in
such cases to not be very efficient for answering metadata queries but
be very efficient for data operations.

IOW, can we have two possible modes of operation for the sharding
translator to answer metadata queries?

1. One that behaves like a regular filesystem where we expect a mix of
data and metadata operations. Your document seems to cover that part
well. We can look at optimizing behavior for multi-threaded single
writer use cases after an initial implementation is in place. Techniques
like eager locking can be applied here.

2. Another mode where we do not expect a lot of metadata queries. In
this mode, we can visit all nodes where we have shards to answer these
queries.

-Vijay