[Gluster-devel] Gluster Design Summit

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Feb 17 19:28:48 UTC 2015

Hello Gluster people! I'd like to propose that we bring our Gluster
community together for an in-person summit. This event will have a few
goals:

* To come together to discuss the features and changes we want to see in
the future of GlusterFS
* To hear from our user community about their experiences (and hopes)
for Gluster
* To encourage our greater Gluster ecosystem (think GlusterForge)

While it would be easy enough to have this summit on IRC or Google
Hangouts, I believe in the importance of meeting face-to-face, and I
think it accelerates our efforts to grow the Gluster Community.

On to the logistics:

When: I'm looking at sometime during the second week of May (May 11-15).
Alternately, the third week of April (April 13-19), though, I'm
concerned about being able to get it all in place before then. I'd like
to have at least one day worth of scheduled presentations, then another
day for an in-person board meeting and open sprints, so this would make
a total of two days of Summit.

Where: I know we have a lot of international Gluster contributors who
are not in the United States, so I'm open to suggestion on this point. A
quick internet search seems to imply that large international airports
like Washington DC, New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles have cheaper
international flights. I only suggest the US as a location country
because it tends to be simpler for people to travel to the US from a
visa and logistics perspective, but if anyone wants to make the case for
a different location country, speak up (quickly).

Who gets to go: The event will be open to anyone who wishes to attend,
but we want to encourage active community members to be present. The
intention is to use the bulk of the funding allocated to this event to
cover travel and lodging costs for members of the Gluster community who
wish to present and/or sprint. (Yes, you read that right. We will cover
the travel and hotel costs for community contributors to attend, as
needed, and as funding permits.)

How can I help?

Right now, we need for people interested in the Gluster Design Summit to
fill out a Google Form so we can track that interest and start to nail
down the specifics about the event.

If you'd like to attend the Gluster Design Summit, please go here:

http://goo.gl/forms/NYRFz5aaop

Thanks in advance,

Tom Callaway
Gluster Community Manager