[Gluster-devel] Quota-2

Shyam srangana at redhat.com
Mon Dec 21 15:08:58 UTC 2015

On 12/19/2015 01:13 AM, Venky Shankar wrote:

> Shyam wrote:
>> <first off the cuff response>
>>
>> On 12/18/2015 04:00 AM, Vijaikumar Mallikarjuna wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Here is the summary of discussion we had today on Quota-v2
>>>
>>> Project, user and group quotas will use the same logic of accounting the
>>> usage
>>>
>>> Quota-v2 should be compatible with both DHT-v1 and DHT-v2
>>>
>>> Project quotas will use gfid of the given path as the project-id.
>>> each inode will have a associated project-id which needs to be
>>> embedded within inode.
>>> when creating new file, it will inherit project-id from its parent
>>> inode.
>>> In case if parent inode doesn't contain project-id, then there
>>> should be a mechanism to
>>> find the project-id given a gfid, so back-pointers can solve this
>>> problem
>>
>> Why would the parent not contain a project-id? and if it does not
>> contain a project-id, why would you need to find a project-id?
>
> Updating project-id's for all children for a given directory on which a
> project-id is set would required scanning. If we could figure
> out the project-id for a given inode using back-pointers (closest
> ancestor for which a project-id is set) then we'd not need the crawl and
> update.

For existing directories when a quota is set, we need to do the scan and
set/update the quota information, right? This is unavoidable as far as I
can see.

For a new entry, as responded in the other mail on this thread, if the
parent is not yet marked with a project-id then the child will inherit
the same when the scanner updates the project-id for the parent, till
then there is no need to account.

> With DHT2, such a mechanism would query each MDS. For current DHT, it
> might still be good enough.

With DHT2 the scanner (for updating quota information for pre-existing
directories) may need to split the work up and perform the operation. A
crude thought at the moment would be,
- Set the project-id for the grandparent where the quota enforcement starts
- Set the pj-id for the leaf objects for this directory, and set the
pj-id for the directories under this grandparent, but take up marking
leaves of these sub-directories as tasks in the other MDS stack
(wherever they belong, i.e same MDS or a different one).

>> What I can visualize is that, the parent is not yet part of a quota
>> project, hence it does not contain a project-id. When this becomes a
>> part of some quota restriction it would start getting a quota. This
>> seems to be one case where the project-id would be missing, but by
>> choice.
>>
>> What am I missing here?
>>
>>> which xlator DHT/marker will set the project-id in the inode? this
>>> needs to be decided
>>> User and group quotas will use uid and gid to account the usage
>>>
>>> Quota has below set of operation which should be performed as a single
>>> transaction
>>> read current size
>>> read current contribution
>>> update delta to the contribution
>>> update size to user/project inode
>>> In the current directory quota, to make this transaction crash
>>> consistent we use a mechanism of setting dirty flag in a parent inode.
>>> This mechanism will not work efficiently with project quotas. Journaling
>>> will be the good solution for crash-consistency.
>>>
>>> Quota 2 depends on:
>>> back-pointers: to find project-id from gfid
>>> journaling: for crash consistency of accounting
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Vijay