[Gluster-devel] Front end for Gluster

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Mon Dec 21 10:11:04 UTC 2015

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 10:22:08PM -0500, Prasanna Kumar Kalever wrote:
> Hello Team,
>
> How many of us think an nursers based front for gluster will increase
> the ease of use ?
>
> Find the attached Images that will show basic POC (see in ascending
> order)

There certainly are users that would like this. I have seen similar
interfaces written in shell scripts with 'dialog' before. It makes it
possible to give users ssh access to storage servers, where this tool
gets started instead of a shell. It allowed users to do minor tasks,
creating a volume for a new project (bricks would be pre-defined), make
a snapshot, enable access through Samba or NFS, and a few more things.
These users do not (need to) know any commandline tools, and the main
Linux admins would not need to get involved.

It will be interesting to see what users need for functionality in a
TUI. If this is written in a scripting language, it will be a nice way
for sysadmins to contribute.

Do you already have a project on github.com/gluster/?

Thanks,
Niels