[Gluster-devel] libgfapi changes to add lk_owner and lease ID

Poornima Gurusiddaiah pgurusid at redhat.com
Mon Dec 14 05:43:08 UTC 2015

Just to sum up, the proposed solutions were:
- Use compound fops
- Use client_t for storing lease id, lk owner instead of thread local storage
- Use glfd, and glfs_object to store the lease id instead of thread local storage
- Add new APIs to take 2 other arguments.

Using compound fops seems like a good idea, but compound fops implementation
in libgfapi is not planned as of yet for 3.8, and also even for using compound fops
we would anyways need new API to set the lease ID and lkowner. The compound fop
infra can provide some shared storage that is local to all the compound fops
of the same set.

As there is no, one to one mapping between client_t and the leaseid/lk_owner,
it is as good as storing in some local storage and using mutex to co-ordinte.

glfd is used to store the lease ID and lk_owner in the current patchset, this works
very well for Samba, but for NFS Ganesha, glfs_object is shared across clients,
hence glfs_object cannot be used to store the lease_id and lk_owner.

Adding new API makes it clean, but adds a huge overhead of maintenance and possible
code duplication. Replacing the existing APIs means forcing the existing applications
to rewrite even if they are not using lease or lock feature.
Since every API unsets the lease ID and lk_owner, there cannot be a stale
lease_id/lk_owner. Are there any other issues with using pthread local storage?
If pthread key resource usage is a problem we could replace all the key to one
gluster key and store a struct in the gluster key.

Hence, my suggestion would be to add new APIs which use thread local storage and once
the compound fops are implemented in libgfapi use their infra to store lease_id
and lk_owner instead of thread local storage.

Regards,
Poornima