[Gluster-devel] compound fop design first cut

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Wed Dec 9 01:07:02 UTC 2015

On 12/08/2015 03:45 PM, Jeff Darcy wrote:

> On December 8, 2015 at 12:53:04 PM, Ira Cooper (ira at redhat.com) wrote:
>> Raghavendra Gowdappa writes:
>> I propose that we define a "compound op" that contains ops.
>>
>> Within each op, there are fields that can be "inherited" from the
>> previous op, via use of a sentinel value.
>>
>> Sentinel is -1, for all of these examples.
>>
>> So:
>>
>> LOOKUP (1, "foo") (Sets the gfid value to be picked up by compounding, 1
>> is the root directory, as a gfid, by convention.)
>> OPEN(-1, O_RDWR) (Uses the gfid value, sets the glfd compound value.)
>> WRITE(-1, "foo", 3) (Uses the glfd compound value.)
>> CLOSE(-1) (Uses the glfd compound value)
>
> So, basically, what the programming-language types would call futures
> and promises.  It’s a good and well studied concept, which is necessary
> to solve the second-order problem of how to specify an argument in
> sub-operation N+1 that’s not known until sub-operation N completes.
>
> To be honest, some of the highly general approaches suggested here scare
> me too.  Wrapping up the arguments for one sub-operation in xdata for
> another would get pretty hairy if we ever try to go beyond two
> sub-operations and have to nest sub-operation #3’s args within
> sub-operation #2’s xdata which is itself encoded within sub-operation
> #1’s xdata.  There’s also not much clarity about how to handle errors in
> that model.  Encoding N sub-operations’ arguments in a linear structure
> as Shyam proposes seems a bit cleaner that way.  If I were to continue
> down that route I’d suggest just having start_compound and end-compound
> fops, plus an extra field (or by-convention xdata key) that either the
> client-side or server-side translator could use to build whatever
> structure it wants and schedule sub-operations however it wants.
>
> However, I’d be even more comfortable with an even simpler approach that
> avoids the need to solve what the database folks (who have dealt with
> complex transactions for years) would tell us is a really hard problem.
> Instead of designing for every case we can imagine, let’s design for the
> cases that we know would be useful for improving performance.  Open plus
> read/write plus close is an obvious one.  Raghavendra mentions
> create+inodelk as well.  For each of those, we can easily define a
> structure that contains the necessary fields, we don’t need a
> client-side translator, and the server-side translator can take care of
> “forwarding” results from one sub-operation to the next.  We could even
> use GF_FOP_IPC to prototype this.  If we later find that the number of
> “one-off” compound requests is growing too large, then at least we’ll
> have some experience to guide our design of a more general alternative.
> Right now, I think we’re trying to look further ahead than we can see
> clearly.

Starting with a well defined set of operations for compounding has its
advantages. It would be easier to understand and maintain correctness
across the stack. Some of our translators perform transactions &
create/update internal metadata for certain fops. It would be easier for
such translators if the compound operations are well defined and does
not entail deep introspection of a generic representation to ensure that
the right behavior gets reflected at the end of a compound operation.

-Vijay