[Gluster-devel] Steps needed to support SElinux over FUSE mounts

Brian Foster bfoster at redhat.com
Thu Dec 3 15:30:49 UTC 2015

On Thu, Dec 03, 2015 at 03:26:27PM +0100, Niels de Vos wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 02, 2015 at 08:26:45PM -0500, Paul Moore wrote:
> > On Wednesday, December 02, 2015 01:02:00 PM Niels de Vos wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > At the moment it is not possible to set an SElinux context over a FUSE
> > > mount. This is because FUSE (in the kernel) does not support SElinux.
> > > I'll try to explain what we need to accomplish to get this working.
> > >
> > > 1. make it possible for SElinux to check sub-filesystems
> > >
> > >    Currently SElinux only can check if a filesystem supports SElinux,
> > >    based on the base filesystem. By default FUSE does not support
> > >    SElinux, so it is not possible for sub-filesystems to support it
> > >    either. When checking /proc/mounts a Gluster mount identifies itself
> > >    with "fuse.glusterfs", which is <mainfs>.<subfs>.
> > >
> > >    An experimental patch for the kernel has been attached to
> > >    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1272868
> >
> > I'm not very knowledgeable about gluster so I don't have much constructive to
> > say about any of the points below, and my comments in the BZ above are still
> > valid.  I will say that I didn't have much luck getting a response from Eric,
> > but I don't think that should stop anything at this point; if the gluster
> > folks are okay with everything else, I have no problems with the proposed
> > SELinux kernel bits (that weren't already mentioned in the BZ).
>
> The approach looks good, but did not have any success with our testing
> yet. The patch applied and running with the test-kernel does not make it
> possible yet to change the SElinux context with "chcon". Even mounting
> with the additional "seclabel" mount option does not help with that (but
> it looks like a no-op in the kernel sources anyway).
>
>   # chcon -t home_user_t /mnt/README
>   chcon: failed to change context of ‘/mnt/README’ to ‘system_u:object_r:home_user_t:s0’: Operation not supported
>
> Systemtap shows that the subtype is set correctly in the super_block at
> the time selinux_sb_kern_mount() is called. I'm not sure what else is
> needed to make this work. A suggestion what to check from a SElinux side
> is welcome. The audit.log does not contain anything relevant at the time
> of the mounting, maybe there is a way to enable more verbose logging of
> some kind?

I believe fuse modifications are required to enable SELinux support via
xattrs. I had posted some prototype patches a ways back:

http://sourceforge.net/p/fuse/mailman/fuse-devel/thread/1385389343-55663-1-git-send-email-bfoster%40redhat.com/#msg31678712

These patches basically add the ability for the userspace fs to enable
selinux in fuse, add the hooks for fuse to initialize security properly
on new inodes (fairly boilerplate if you take a look at some other linux
fs'), and add a notification mechanism to help userspace invalidate the
security context on remote context changes.

IIRC, the latter is required since otherwise the security context is
initialized on the in-memory inode once and never changed except via the
explicit chcon (setxattr?) path. Therefore, client A doesn't have any
clean way to notify the local kernel that the backend security context
has changed via a chcon on client B.

I also think an selinux policy update that enables selinux via xattrs
support for "fuse.glusterfs" filesystems is a requirement to actually
test any of this stuff. My understanding is that the kernel subtype
thing is a requirement to distinguish glusterfs from other types of fuse
filesystems, but the actual policy enablement for such fuse.glusterfs
fs' is part of the userspace selinux-policy package.

I have old, custom selinux-policy-3.12.1-95.fc21 rpm packages sitting
around here that you're welcome to, but they might be too old at this
point. I also might have prototype-level supporting code in glusterfs
for some of this stuff (e.g., xattr name translation, remote context
invalidation, etc.), but I'd have to dig around for that...

Brian