[Gluster-devel] libgfapi changes to add lk_owner and lease ID
pgurusid at redhat.com
Thu Dec 3 14:11:34 UTC 2015
For the below two features, we need ligfapi to take 2 other parameters from the applications for most number of fops.
For leases to work as explained in the above doc, every file data read/write fop needs to be associated with a lease ID. This is specially required for Samba and NFS-Ganesha as they inturn serve other clients who request for leases. For Gluster to identify the end client (which is not Samba/NFS Ganesha) we need lease ID to be filled by Samba/NFS Ganesha.
For mandatory locks feature to work as explained, every file data read/write fop needs to be associated with a lk_owner. In linux Kernel VFS takes care of filling the lk_ownere for the file system. In libgfapi case, the applications calling into libgfapi should be providing lk_owner with every fop. This is again required mainly for Samba and NFS Ganesha, as they serve multiple clients.
1. Modify all the required APIs to take 2 other parameter, lease ID and lk_owner. But that would mean backward compatibility issues and is a programming overhead for applications not interested in Leases and mandatory lock feature.
2. Add an API called glfs_set_fop_attrs (lease ID, lk_owner) which works similar to glfs_set_uid(uid). The API sets a thread local storage (pthread_key) with the values provided, the further fops on that thread will pick the lease ID and lk_owner from the thread local storage (pthread_key). There are few minor details that needs to be worked out:
- In case of async API will end up using lease ID and lk_owner from wrong thread.
- unset lease ID and lk_owner after every fop to ensure there is no stale lease ID or lk_owner set?
- For fd based fops we can store the lease ID and lk_owner in glfd, so that the application writed need not set it for every fop. But for handle based fops lease ID and lk_owner needs to be set explicitly every-time.
Solution 2 is more preferable except for that it adds overhead of calling another API, for the libgfapi users who intends to use these features.
A prototype of solution 2 can be found at http://review.gluster.org/#/c/12876/
Please let me know if you have any suggestions.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Gluster-devel