[Gluster-devel] [RFE]: Bandwidth control for background/longterm tasks

Emmanuel Dreyfus manu at netbsd.org
Tue Dec 1 09:25:24 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 12:26:33PM +0100, Giuseppe Ragusa wrote:
> The main scope for the present RFE is to allow bandwidth limiting for
> those cases where peers are clients too (and maybe the only clients),
> just like in an hyperconverged oVirt setup.

I experienced the casof a client hogging the glusterfs cluster. In order
to mitigate this, bandiwth control is not enough: we need FOP rate limit
too.

In an ideal world, there would be a setup to autoatically enforce it:
when FOP RTT increase (indicating a resource hog), make sure all clients
get an equal share of FOP execution slots.

> As a final note, it would be fine if the goal could be reached by OS-level
> means

That will be difficult to do in a portable way.
--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
manu at netbsd.org