[Gluster-devel] openstack Cinder w/ GlusterFS performance using pblio workload generator tool

Deepak Shetty dpkshetty at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 09:19:09 UTC 2015

Hi List,
   I am working towards getting some performance number for openstack Cinder
when backed with GlusterFS as the storage backend. I am using pblio [1]
workload generator tool for the same.

In short, Pblio is a synthetic OLTP
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_transaction_processing> enterprise
workload used to stress storage systems.
This benchmark will stress a storage system to determine the maximum number
of IOPS it can manage
before having a mean response latency of 30 milliseconds or greater. More
details
are available @ [1]

  Currently I just ran pblio in a *mock setup*, details of the setup are
below.
More real-world setup numbers will come soon.

*Setup:*

    I have my host laptop, devstack AIO runs in a VM and inside that is my
nova VM
(nested VM thus) where I am running pblio.

Nested VM runs F22. FWIW, my laptop has only SSDs so everything is SSD
backed.

*Screenshots:*
[stack at devstack-f21 ~]$ [admin] ssh -i ./mykey.pem fedora at 10.0.0.4 "lsblk"
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sr0     11:0    1  418K  0 rom
vda    252:0    0   20G  0 disk
└─vda1 252:1    0   20G  0 part /

*vdb    252:16   0    3G  0 disk vdc    252:32   0    3G  0 disk vdd
252:48   0    1G  0 disk *

* So vdb, vdc and vdd are the glusterfs backed block devices in my nova VM

Some of the pblio runs that I did ...

[root at vm1 pblio]# ./pblio -asu1=/dev/vdb -asu2=/dev/vdc -asu3=/dev/vdd
-runlen=60 -bsu=2
-----
pblio
-----
Cache   : None
ASU1    : 3.00 GB
ASU2    : 3.00 GB
ASU3    : 0.67 GB
BSUs    : 2
Contexts: 1
Run time: 60 s
-----
Avg IOPS:100.57  Avg Latency:0.8021 ms

[root at vm1 pblio]# ./pblio -asu1=/dev/vdb -asu2=/dev/vdc -asu3=/dev/vdd
-runlen=600 -bsu=60
-----
pblio
-----
Cache   : None
ASU1    : 3.00 GB
ASU2    : 3.00 GB
ASU3    : 0.67 GB
BSUs    : 60
Contexts: 1
Run time: 600 s
-----
Avg IOPS:3000.48  Avg Latency:6.1536 ms

[root at vm1 pblio]# ./pblio -asu1=/dev/vdb -asu2=/dev/vdc -asu3=/dev/vdd
-runlen=600 -bsu=100
-----
pblio
-----
Cache   : None
ASU1    : 3.00 GB
ASU2    : 3.00 GB
ASU3    : 0.67 GB
BSUs    : 100
Contexts: 1
Run time: 600 s
-----
Avg IOPS:4831.87  Avg Latency:33.9057 ms

* So somewhere close (on the lesser side) to (100 * 50) is the max IOPS for
this setup, given the above data

This is very very draft/mock run, no where close to real world setup
I wanted to share this with the broader audience, comments welcome.

More updates will come, once I run these tests on a larger
close-to-real-world setup.

thanx,
deepak