[Gluster-devel] Implementing Flat Hierarchy for trashed files

Anoop C S anoopcs at redhat.com
Mon Aug 17 12:50:50 UTC 2015

Hi all,

As we move forward, in order to fix the limitations with current trash
translator we are planning to replace the existing criteria for trashed
files inside trash directory with a general flat hierarchy as described
in the following sections. Please have your thoughts on following
design considerations.

Current implementation
======================
* Trash translator resides on glusterfs server stack just above posix.
* Trash directory (.trashcan) is created during volume start and is
  visible under root of the volume.
* Each trashed file is moved (renamed) to trash directory with an
  appended time stamp in the file name.
* Exact directory hierarchy (w.r.t the root of volume) is maintained
  inside trash directory whenever a file is deleted/truncated from a
  directory

Outstanding issues
==================
* Since renaming occurs at the server side, client-side is unaware of
  trash doing rename or create operations.
* As a result files/directories may not be visible from mount point.
* Files/Directories created from from trash translator will not have
  gfid associated with it until lookup is performed.

Proposed Flat hierarchy
=======================
* Instead of creating the whole directory under trash, we will rename
  the file and place it directly under trash directory (of course with
  appended time stamp).
* Directory hierarchy can be stored via either of the following two
  approaches:
	(a) File name will contain the whole path with time stamp
	    appended
	(b) Store whole hierarchy as an xattr

Other enhancements
==================
* Create the trash directory only
when trash xlator is enabled.
* Operations such as unlink, rename etc
will be prevented on trash
  directory only when trash xlator is
enabled.
* A new trash helper translator on client side(loaded only when
trash
  is enabled) to resolve split brain issues with truncation of
files.
* Restore files from trash with the help of an explicit setfattr
call.

Thanks & Regards,
-Anoop C S
-Jiffin Tony Thottan