[Gluster-devel] RPM spec file and starting glusterd in no daemon mode

Raghavendra Talur rtalur at redhat.com
Wed Apr 29 15:47:36 UTC 2015

Hi,

As part of the yum upgrade procedure, when glusterfs-server is updated
we run glusterd in no daemon mode along with upgrade option with this
command.

glusterd --xlator-option *.upgrade=on -N

This helps us update our vol files with new defaults along with
few other things.(say we added a new xlator which we want as default).

Starting in no daemon mode has a problem though, we leave our stdout,
stdin and stderr open. This can cause messages to be printed on the
console from any of the libs that we load.

We have seen this problem with librdmacm, it prints out these
messages on screen

librdmacm: Warning: couldn't read ABI version.
librdmacm: Warning: assuming: 4
librdmacm: Fatal: unable to get RDMA device list

I looked through the code and did not find any real requirement
to use no-daemon option(-N). Anyhow, we init logging very early
in our process and don't need the stderr open.

I am missing something or can we exclude -N from our spec files
while performing upgrade?

Thanks,
Raghavendra Talur