[Gluster-devel] Update on mgmt_v3-locks.t failure in netbsd

Kaushal M kshlmster at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 13:04:19 UTC 2015

After a long discussion (not really), we've concluded that a 64-bit
uint is really overkill for how we are using the generation number,
and I'll change it to a 32-bit uint. I'll send a change to do this
right away.

The generation number we use is not permanent, it is valid only within
a GlusterD processe's lifetime. It starts fresh on every GlusterD
start. We don't save it or restore it. The generation number is bumped
for each peerinfo object allocated. Considering this, even if were to
do peer probes every second it'd be ages before we overflow with a
32-bit generation number. If someone is somehow able to bombard us
with 4 billion requests, I expect GlusterD to bork before the
generation number ever reaches the overflow point.

~kaushal