[Gluster-devel] Update on mgmt_v3-locks.t failure in netbsd

Emmanuel Dreyfus manu at netbsd.org
Tue Apr 28 12:40:18 UTC 2015

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 05:15:30PM +0530, Kaushal M wrote:
> Because of this CAA_BITS_PER_LONG is set to 32 and the case for size 8
> isn't compiled in uatomic_add_return. Even though the underlying
> (virtual) hardware has 64-bit support, and supports the required
> 8-byte wide instrcution, it cannot be used because we are running on a
> 32-bit kernel with a 32-bit userspace.

NetBSD has a non-standard atomic_add_64() available on alpha, amd64,
ia64 and suprisingly i386. It is also availaible for some sparc, mips
and powerpc CPU.

> Manu, was there any particular reason why you 32-bit NetBSD? If there
> are none, can you please replace the VMs with 64-bit NetBSD. Until
> then you can keep mgmt_v3-locks.t disabled.

Well, I was not even aware 32 bits machine were not supported. That is
a huge blow to portability, especialy considering that i386 seems capable
of handling 64 bit atomic operations.

At a minimum we should introduce a gf_atomic_add() macro that exapnds
to approproiate non standard stuff. But why so we need 64 bits here? What
is the requirement?

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
manu at netbsd.org