[Gluster-devel] Returning right ret codes in case of failure of a glusterd command

Avra Sengupta asengupt at redhat.com
Tue Apr 21 12:17:04 UTC 2015

Hi,

Today whenever a gluster command fails the ret code is always 1.
Irrespective of the failure. I have sent the following patch which takes
a first step towards bringing some order to this chaos.
http://review.gluster.org/10313

It addresses the following scenarios:

1. Invalid Syntax: I have incorporated this for the snapshot commands
only for now. In case of an invalid syntax the retcode will be 2.
2. Another transaction in progress errors: In case the command fails to
acquire a lock, because another transaction is in progress the retcode
will be 3.

If the approach is fine, and it's fine to go with such incremental
retcodes, then once this patch gets accepted, I will send further
patches on top of this one. I would also urge other component owners to
block retcodes for their components in "glusterd-errno.h", and start
doing the same.

Regards,
Avra