[Gluster-devel] regressions on release-3.7 ?

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Mon Apr 20 13:14:20 UTC 2015

> The same problems that affect mainline are affecting release-3.7 too. We
> need to get over this soon.

I think it's time to start skipping (or even deleting) some tests.  For
example, volume-snapshot-clone.t alone is responsible for a huge number
of spurious failures.  It's for a feature that people don't even seem to
know we have, and isn't sufficient for us to declare that feature
supportable, so the only real effect of the test's existence is these
spurious regression-test failures.  In other cases (e.g. uss.t) bugs in
the test and/or the feature itself must still be fixed before we can
release 3.7 but that doesn't necessarily mean we need to run that test
for every unrelated change.

The purpose of a regression test is to catch unanticipated problems with
a patch.  A test that fails for its own unrelated reasons provides
little or no information of that nature, and is therefore best treated
as if no test for that feature/fix had ever existed.  That's still bad
and still worthy of correction, but at least it doesn't interfere with
everyone else's work.