[Gluster-devel] metdata-volume for gluster

Rajesh Joseph rjoseph at redhat.com
Tue Apr 7 10:26:23 UTC 2015

Hi all,

In gluster 3.7 multiple features (Snapshot scheduler, NFS Ganesha, Geo-rep) are planning to use
additional volume to store metadata related to these features. This volume needs to be manually
created and explicitly managed by an admin.

I think creating and managing these many metadata volume would be an overhead for an admin. Instead
of that I am proposing to have a single unified metata-volume which can be used by all these features.

For simplicity and easier management we are proposing to have a pre-defined volume name.
If needed this name can be configured using a global gluster option.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or comments.

Thanks & Regards,
Rajesh