[Gluster-devel] how do you debug ref leaks?

Kaleb KEITHLEY kkeithle at redhat.com
Thu Sep 18 17:27:51 UTC 2014

On 09/18/2014 12:09 PM, Pranith Kumar Karampuri wrote:

> On 09/18/2014 09:35 PM, Pranith Kumar Karampuri wrote:
>>
>> On 09/18/2014 09:31 PM, Kaleb KEITHLEY wrote:
>>> As a wishlist item, I think it'd be nice if debug builds (or some
>>> other build-time option) would disable the pools. Then valgrind might
>>> be more useful for finding leaks.
> Actually there seems to be some issue with running bricks using
> valgrind. Operations on mount hang when we start the bricks (Ravi
> confirmed this situation even today). That still needs to be solved, it
> used to work. Not sure what happened.

I've been running gluster under valgrind. E.g. see
http://download.gluster.org/pub/gluster/glusterfs/dynamic-analysis/master/glusterfs-valgrind/

It's pretty hit or miss, sometimes the client-side glusterfs process (at
least IIRC it's the client-side glusterfs) will lock up and consume 100%
CPU. And so far I haven't been able to trigger a core dump of the
spinning process to see where it's locking up.

It would be nice to solve that so that I can do unsupervised nightly
valgrind runs.

I'll look at the review you referenced for disabling pools.

Thanks,

--

Kaleb