[Gluster-devel] How does GD_SYNCOP work?

Krishnan Parthasarathi kparthas at redhat.com
Wed Sep 10 09:32:41 UTC 2014

Emmanuel,

I am not sure why glustershd process is not replying to the 'brick op' RPC sent from glusterd.
That is something that we need to identify.

Let me try to explain how GD_SYNCOP works. Internally, GD_SYNCOP yields the thread that was
executing the (sync)task once the RPC request is submitted (asynchronously) to the remote endpoint.
It's equivalent to pausing the task until the response is received. The call back function, which generally
executes in the epoll thread, wakes the corresponding task into execution (ie. resumes task execution).
If the remote endpoint doesn't reply for longer than frame-timeout, which is default 10mins in glusterd,
the call back is invoked (in the timer thread), which would call the wake and resume the task to completion,
albeit with failure.

Hope that helps.

~KP