[Gluster-devel] glusterfs replica volume self heal lots of small file very very slow!!why?

justglusterfs at gmail.com justglusterfs at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 08:23:43 UTC 2014

Hi all:
      I do the  following test:
     I create a glusterfs  replica volume (replica count is 2 ) with two server node(server A and server B),use XFS as the underlying filesystem,  then  mount the volume in client node,
    then, I  shut down the network of server A node, in  client node, I copy a dir(which has a lot of small files), the dir size is 2.9GByte,
    when  copy finish, I unmount the volume from the  client, then I start the network of server A node,   now, glusterfs  self-heal-daemon start heal dir  from  server B to  server  A,
    in the  end,  I find the self-heal-daemon   heal the  dir use  40 minutes,  It's too slow!  why?

   I   find out   related options  with  self-heal, as  follow:
   cluster.self-heal-window-size
   cluster.self-heal-readdir-size
   cluster.background-self-heal-count

  then  I  config :
  cluster.self-heal-window-size  is  1024(max value)
  cluster.self-heal-readdir-size   is  131072(max  value)

  and  then  do  the  same  test case,  find  this times  heal the dir  use 35 minutes,   The effective is not obvious,

  I  want  to ask,  If there are better ways to improve replica volume self heal  lots of small file  performance??

  thanks!

justglusterfs at gmail.com