[Gluster-devel] Languages (was Re: Proposal for GlusterD-2.0)

Krishnan Parthasarathi kparthas at redhat.com
Mon Sep 8 06:08:33 UTC 2014

[Apologies up front for questionable posting etiquettes]

Two characteristics of a language (tool chain) are important to me, especially
when you spend a good part of your time debugging failures/bugs.

- Analysing core files.
- Ability to reason about space consumption. This becomes important in
  the case of garbage collected languages.

I have written a few toy programs in Go and have been following the language
lately. Some of its features like channels and go routines catch my attention
as we are aspiring to build reactive and scalable services. Its lack of type-inference
and inheritance worries me a little. But, I shouldn't be complaining when
our default choice has been C thus far ;)

~KP