[Gluster-devel] Gluster Test Framwork tests failed on Gluster+Zfs(Zfs on linux)

Kaleb KEITHLEY kkeithle at redhat.com
Thu Sep 4 11:08:42 UTC 2014

On 09/04/2014 06:49 AM, Santosh Pradhan wrote:
> Hi,
> Currently GlusterFS is tightly coupled with ext(2/3/4) and XFS. Zfs
> (ZOL) and Btrfs are not supported at the moment, may get supported in
> future (at least btrfs).
>
> Thanks,
> Santosh
>

> On 09/04/2014 03:34 PM, Justin Clift wrote:
>> On 28/08/2014, at 9:30 AM, Kiran Patil wrote:
>>> Hi Gluster Devs,
>>>
>>> I ran the Gluster Test Framework on Gluster+zfs stack and found issues.
>>>
>>> I would like to know if I need to submit a bug at Redhat Bugzilla
>>> since the stack has zfs, which is not supported by Redhat or Fedora
>>> if I am not wrong?
>> Definitely create an issue on the Red Hat Bugzilla, for the "GlusterFS"
>> "product" ;> there:
>>
>>    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=GlusterFS
>>
>> Since it's for the upstream Community, the official Red Hat "Supported"
>> list isn't super relevant.

There is no officially blessed file system for Community GlusterFS. The
only requirement is that the file system support extended attributes.

As a guide to best practice, you may wish to look at what Red Hat
officially supports for RHS GlusterFS — that is XFS. As you might
expect, that gets the most testing and likely has the fewest bugs
related to it. But people are successfully using other file systems,
e.g. ffs on NetBSD and FreeBSD, HFS+ on Mac OS X, and btrfs and zfs on
Linux.

You may certainly file bugs against Community GlusterFS with zfs. I will
warn you though that due to various legal and political realities,
probably (certainly) none of the Red Hat employees that work on
GlusterFS will be able to devote time to it.

If you fix the bugs you find, please submit your fix in Gerrit. We will
certainly accept fixes for legitimate bugs regardless of which file
system you use. Our development workflow is described here
http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Development_Work_Flow.

Regards,

--

Kaleb